Inaccurate Reporting Data
Stop struggling with inaccurate or mismatched reports
The Business Challenge
A business user discovered inaccurate information on yearly revenue reports and loses precious time to business waiting for the BI group to respond.
The BI Challenge
To reduce the amount of time and resources required to locate the source of the inaccurate reports and correct the problem, while maintaining accuracy.
How BI worked before Octopai
In order to identify the source of the problem, BI groups had to manually trace the data to discover and understand all the hops that the data went through to land in a specific report. They had to analyze which database tables and ETL processes were involved in and affected by the particular inaccuracy and correlate the metadata to other reports that were affected – a very expensive, error-prone and time-consuming process.
Octopai’s simple user interface compares reports (either from the same or from different systems), and clearly illustrates any differences between, enabling users to understand exactly how they ended up different.
In this example Octopai has identified an additional ETL process and table in the report on the bottom of the screen that is missing in the report on the top. This is exactly where the two reports began to deviate.
- DB tables
- ETL Processes
BI groups are empowered by Octopai automation
Octopai enables visibility and control of metadata, helping BI groups to:
- Discover all related ETL processes and tables used to produce a report, with one click
- Compare multiple reports to show specific metadata items, as seen in the image above
- Fix the problem much faster with all metadata centralised in one place
- The search is simple, accurate and effective
Value to the organisation
- Cut the metadata search and tracing cost by more than 50%
- Faster time-to- market than initially estimated
- Zero business disruptions or production issues when fixing the problem